Traditionally on the 24th day of the last month in the Lunar Calendar, the Chinese will start creating Glutinous Sesame Balls and it symbolises gold in the household. The 24th day is known as 開炸. In 2021, the date falls on the 3rd February 2021.
This is where families make deep fried Glutinous Sesame Balls
At SeeWoo, we stock a variety of ingredients that allow you to make your own sesame balls.
- 5 cup glutinous rice flour - additional for dusting
- 80 g sugar
- 100 ml water or an additional 10ml to adjust the thickness of the dough (plus 1tbsp for an additional small dough)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- 1 cup roasted white sesame seeds
- 50g Red beans (for the red bean paste or other filling if preferred)
- Oil - for frying (depending on the size if your deep drying pot, but will need to allow space for the sesame balls to float)
- Let's prepare the red bean paste:
- Using a small bowl, soak the red beans overnight (or until they soften, this may take over 1 hour depending on the brand and number of red beans)
- Once the red beans are soft, drain out the water and begin to mash them together into a paste-like consistency and set aside
Sesame Rice Balls
- Add 25g of water along with the glutenious rice flour then adding the sugar and baking powder slowly. Add the water slowly as you knead until you get a smooth dough
- Once the dough is ready, create a long log and divide it into 8 (or more) equal portions
- If you are looking to add some fillings inside the Sesame Rice balls, take a scoop of the red bean paste and place it in the middle of each portion, then seal (wrap) the dough and shape it into a round ball - there is no specific size so it will be left with the creator’s choice
- Pour sesame seeds into a bowl (or plate) and take one ball and roll it on the sesame seeds. Repeat this until all the balls are covered with sesame seeds
Frying the Sesame Balls
- Heat enough oil until approximately 120 degrees
- Carefully add the sesame balls into the oil and turn the heat to low
- Allow the sesame balls to be fried, and once the balls float it should appear golden in colour. At that point, it is ready.
- Lastly, turn off the heat and transfer the balls into an oil–absorbing cooking paper to let it cool. Once it is cool enough, enjoy the balls